[SLUG] Is RedHat getting too smart for its own good?

Jeff Waugh jdub at slug.org.au
Fri Jul 26 13:57:44 EST 2002

<quote who="Howard Lowndes">

> Off I go to look for Linuxconf - a very useful utility for configuring
> NICs.  Gone - missing - not there - disaster.  It seems that RH have
> chosen to kill off linuxconf.

linuxconf is widely regarded as poopie (well, that's my interpretation of
the dominant perspective).

> Nothing for it - head for the GUI and Control Panel.  Click on Network
> Device Control - after 10 seconds nothing happens.  Click on Network
> Configuration - after 10 seconds nothing happens.  Look in
> /var/log/messages - nothing there.  Try topping the processes and I see
> kdeinit kick in then disappear after the 10 seconds.

Sounds like you're trying to run the KDE-provided network configuration
tools, rather than the Red Hat ones.

You're looking for 'redhat-config-network', which is found in the System
menus under Red Hat's GNOME setup.

> Nothing for it;  vi, and edit the scripts.  Nothing works better than
> something simple.

(Even simpler... /etc/network/interfaces on Debian-based distros. One file
instead of a directory of scripts. It's pretty simple.)

> What have RH screwed up now?  Needless to say there is no mention I can
> find on their web site.

I don't think they've barfed up, they're just providing their own tools to
do various configuration stuff now. They're cool tools.

(Why the massive cross-post?)

- Jeff

--
    "It's not sufficient to 'use simple words to explain things'. Things
      must actually *be* simple, which is much harder." - Martin Pool