Webone blocking port 25??

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Thu Jul 25 11:59:47 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> These are potential reasons:
>
> 1) It's broken

Call them, tell them to fix it. Don't pay them money if they're not
providing you with the service they're supposed to provide.

> 2) It's blacklisted (see (1))

See (1). If enough people head for another ISP that's not blacklisted,
the blacklisted ISP will eventually get the hint.

Additionally, attempt to educate your ISP as to *why* they're being
blacklisted, and what they can do about it.

> 3) It's configured to restrict attachment sizes and you (for whatever
> perverse reason) just *have* to send 10Mb attachments via email every day

Then the problem isn't with your ISP.

> 4) You have political/pseudo-technical reasons for not using their mail
> relay (eg: they're using Microsoft Exchange, which you don't like/trust,
> which case see (1))

See (1).

If trust is the problem, you could also think about sending
encrypted/signed email.

> 5) Their relay won't forward encrypted or signed email (eg: many
> Government Departments in the ACT have configured their mail systems to
> reject encrypted messages, so I have to turn off GPG signatures when
> emailing my brother, sister-in-law, cousin, uncle, etc at work) - see (1)

See (1).

Short story: If you're not getting the service you're paying for, stop
paying for it. If you're not getting a service that you expect but
aren't paying for, review your expectations.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:sam at jabber.topic.com.au
tSA Consulting      |  http://www.topic.com.au/