Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 18 13:33:27 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On Friday, January 18, 2002, at 10:11 , Bob Edwards wrote:
>
> > We have been using gibraltar here at Dept. of Computer Science ...
> [snip]
> > What it needs is a better interface for configuration (like
> > Smoothwalls).
>
> Would 'webmin' be of any use to you?  Check out the results of
> "apt-cache search webmin" - there's an administration plug-in for just
> about every feature of a "typical" firewall that the "average" "home"
> user might need :)

Well it wouldn't be of much use to me - I'm a command line junkie :-)

But for someone wanting to set up a firewall at home, the missing
feature in Gibraltar is a GUI of some sort.

Like Smoothwall, I believe that there is also a commercial version of
Gibraltar, and that one might include a GUI (Web-based).

The main pros of Gibraltar, for us, are:
 - kernel 2.4.x
 - CD only (no hard drive required)
 - Debian based (or, at least, mainstream distro based) for easier
	package management etc. (unlike Smoothwall)

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.