nvidia questions

Saul Thurrowgood saul at cvs.anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 15 17:05:13 EST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Jan-Yun Lou wrote:
> Firstly, are the "nvidia" drivers any better than the
> "nv" drivers?  I know the nvidia drivers offer 3D
> acceleration and the "nv" drivers don't, but I only do
> 2D work in Linux and I was wondering if the "nvidia"
> drivers you get off the Nvidia website provide any
> improvement in 2D work over the "nv" drivers?

I have to use the nvidia drivers for 3D and I switch between text and X
modes frequently. This with the latest drivers (1.0-2313) causes the
occasional black screen of death. Still have keyboard control and can
reboot to regain video, but very annoying. I use Slackware 8 but have
seen it happen on Red Hat 7.1

The driver revision before the current (1.0-1541) also had this problem.

Any clues? (apart from not using binary drivers :)

Saul.