nvidia questions

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Tue Jan 15 17:41:10 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Saul Thurrowgood wrote:
> Any clues? (apart from not using binary drivers :)

Friends that have nvidia cards are experiencing similar problems.  One
uses the nv driver and restarts the X server with the nvidia one only
when they need hardware 3D accelleration.

I think the biggest problem is that nvidia have to have a closed-source
driver, and they cannot keep up with Linux kernel development.  So their
QA boxes will be running 2.2.18 while the users have 2.5.1-pre8 with
devfs and all sorts of other goodies.  The second biggest problem is
they try to cut development costs by code-sharing with the Windows
driver, apparently over 80% of the code is identical in both, so they
can't just fix Linux-related problems in the bits that will affect
Windows as well.  I would assume the reverse is not the same since they
have a larger focus on having stable Windows drivers, so problems can be
introduced that way also.

--
Matt