make installed rpm

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 8 23:05:19 EST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:27, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Perhaps someone can give me some advice about this.  I want to compile a
> program and rather than do a "make install" and just install it I want to
> create an rpm and then install the rpm.  How do I do that?
>
> In other words, rather than have the "make install" command splatter files
> all over the place I want the install to be controlled by the rpm
> system/database.  So I can check before installing if it's going to clobber
> things it shouldn't, so I can easily uninstall if necessary and so I can
> easily install it on other systems.
>
> Is there a simple way of doing this?  If it's an RTFM, which manual?
>
> Kim

Have a look at CheckInstall.
(http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall-en.html#checkinstall)

I have not used it (although I will try it out when I'm next installing
something from source), but it got a good review by one of the people at
linuxplanet.  (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/3979/8/)

Cheers,

Rasjid.