make installed rpm

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Mon Jan 7 12:19:30 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 11:27:24AM +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Perhaps someone can give me some advice about this.  I want to compile a
program and rather than do a "make install" and just install it I want to
create an rpm and then install the rpm.  How do I do that?

> In other words, rather than have the "make install" command splatter files
all over the place I want the install to be controlled by the rpm
system/database.  So I can check before installing if it's going to clobber
things it shouldn't, so I can easily uninstall if necessary and so I can
easily install it on other systems.

> Is there a simple way of doing this?  If it's an RTFM, which manual?

The FM is http://www.rpm.org/ in the documentation section, the book mentioned
(maximum RPM, the published version not the new unreleased version) is the
official specification for the LSB packages.

Anyway it is not too hard to work out how to build rpms, and if there are spec
files already available for the software it is even easier. Have a read
shouldnt take too much time to work it all out.

         See You
             Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh