[plug] E-mail Setup for spam filtering - Fetchmail-Procmail-ASK-Kmail ?

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Tue Jan 8 17:09:20 EST 2002

Daniel <cottmain at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> Hi Clug,
> Spam is driving me crazy.  Can't filter it at isp.  How about the following? A
> 'mostly on' connection to grab my mail then filter it [if my machine goes down
> the mail will just build up at the isp].  Added benefits could be - mail stored
> locally using IMAP so it could be accessed by other machines and o/s.  Maildir
> format for stability and I'm guessing the 'each e-mail is a separate file'
> means that e-mails can be archived to cd and then perhaps searched direct on
> cd.  I need to find out what's required and the best/simplest way to set it up.
>
> Tasks:
> Grab the mail from the isp
> - Getmail [mail retriever with reliable Maildir. Does not need an MTA- but what
> about Anti spam filtering - surely it can't run the ready made ASK or
> Spambouncer?]
> or
> - Fetchmail [needs an MTA.  Then allows all your system MTA's filtering,
> forwarding, and aliasing facilities to work just as they would on normal
> mail.]

actually you can use procmail to deliver mail from fetchmail, bypassing the
MTA. use a line like this:

poll pop-server.vic.bigpond.net.au, proto pop3
mda "formail -s procmail"

i use ssmtp to send mail out to my gateway which runs postfix.  but as another
poster has i think recommended, postfix is a good choice.

cheers,

--
Damien Elmes
resolve at repose.cx