Bastille firewall and samba

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 23 17:42:43 EST 2002

Hi!

I've also tried adding the following lines to Bastille:

TCP_PUBLIC_SERVICES="22 137 138 139"
UDP_PUBLIC_SERVICES="137 138 139"
TCP_INTERNAL_SERVICES="137 138 139"
UDP_INTERNAL_SERVICES="137 138 139"

I didn't think I needed to add 137,138,139 to ALL of them but I thought
that I might as well try it and whittle out what I don't need later.
However, even with that it still doesn't seem to work.  I've had a look
through the Bastille configuration file and I am not blocking 137-139
specifically so that can't be the problem.  I am stopping smb broadcasts
but I thought that only mattered if one was sharing folders rather than
trying to connect *to* shares.

A Google search also doesn't seem to bring up much help either so I
really must be doing something stupidly wrong.  Well, this is my first
time using samba so I wouldn't be surprised if was doing something
really stupid ^_^.

Pearl

On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 17:18, Marek Samoc wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2002, Pearl Louis wrote:
>

> PL> I've been trying to connect to some Windows computers using samba.
> PL> However my firewall (Bastille firewall) doesn't seem of mind to let me
> PL> do it.  The situation is I am trying to allow my computer to connect to
> PL> computers in a Windows workgroup whilst not necessarily letting them
> PL> connect to mine (as I have yet to work out how to set up a share
> PL> securely and I don't have the time right now).  I've added ports 137,138
> PL> and 139 to the line TCP_PUBLIC_SERVICES= in
> PL> /etc/Bastille/bastille-firewall.cfg but this doesn't seem to help.  The
>
> I have no idea how Bastille works, but wouldn't you need to let UDP
> through (outgoing), too, to establish a connection with a
> Windows box?
>
> Marek

n 614BC the viscount Wen of Chu had the tortoise consulted
regarding the transfer of the capital to I.  The soothsayer replied:
This transfer will be advantageous to the people, and fatal to
the prince.  The viscount said:  If it would be advantageous to the
people, it would so also for me.  For Heaven makes the princes for the
 people.  If my people would be happy, I would be also,
whatever might happen to me personally...So having transferred his
residence to I, the viscount died there in the fifth month of the same
year.
The Sages said of him, that he understood how a prince should
contemplate destiny.

The Tso-chuan, Narratives of Tso attributed to Tso Ch'iu-ming
(written sometime in the 5th century BC)