Implementing a make command

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Feb 17 18:26:56 EST 2002

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 04:45:34PM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Bob Edwards wrote:
>
> > You're right - I forgot that little detail... I should know - I set an
> > O/S assignment for students to modify the minix fs two years ago!
>
> Whereas UC doesn't offer anything as practical as this in their single
> operating systems unit. We got to read about os design and inodes and
> stuff, but there was no implementation work. Do you recall what the
> textbook / reading list was? Perhaps you have some pointers on how I can
> learn more about this.

Hmm, the year I did it we had to modify the VFAT filesystem to make it case
insensetive. I don't think there were set textbooks, except maybe for
Operating Systems by Stallings. Good book, but not Linux specific. However,
I do suggest getting the book "Linux Device Drivers". Though from looking at
the table of contents they don't seem to cover this part very well.

Seriously though, the filesystem setup is not very complicated. Browse the
source code. Look for a simple one (though beware of pure ram filesystems,
they have much magic).

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>