SSH port forward and ftp

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sat Feb 16 22:54:12 EST 2002

I have spent quite a while trying to work out how to get ftp working with ssh
port forwarding, and I'm not having much joy.

The setup is:
A-Remote machine
B-Firewall fowards port 22 to
C-Linux E-Smith box running sshd and proftp.

I'm using putty for port forward port 21 on the remote mahcine to the server,
but then there is the issue of the data port.

Some sites have sample cofigurations fowarding port 20 as well, but that does
not seem to help.  I have turned on 'AllowForeignAddresses' in the
proftp.conf file.

I get the initial ftp connection okay, but as soon as data is request (by the
LIST command etc) it all times out.

Any ideas / good sources of information?  One site suggested MindTerm as a
ssh client that does its own ftp proxing.  I have not tested it yet.  I would
rather stick to using putty and a standard ftp client if possible.

Thanks,

Rasjid.