SSH port forward and ftp

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sun Feb 17 02:37:36 EST 2002

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 10:54:12PM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> I have spent quite a while trying to work out how to get ftp working with ssh
> port forwarding, and I'm not having much joy.
>
> The setup is:
> A-Remote machine
> B-Firewall fowards port 22 to
> C-Linux E-Smith box running sshd and proftp.
>
> I'm using putty for port forward port 21 on the remote mahcine to the server,
> but then there is the issue of the data port.
>
> Some sites have sample cofigurations fowarding port 20 as well, but that does
> not seem to help.  I have turned on 'AllowForeignAddresses' in the
> proftp.conf file.
>
> I get the initial ftp connection okay, but as soon as data is request (by the
> LIST command etc) it all times out.
>
> Any ideas / good sources of information?  One site suggested MindTerm as a
> ssh client that does its own ftp proxing.  I have not tested it yet.  I would
> rather stick to using putty and a standard ftp client if possible.

Have you tried using passive ftp? Otherwise ftp daemons will try to connect
to you when you make any kind of data request (whether it be ls or get, this
is one of the things that makes the ftp protocol so sucky)

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view