terminal to a serial port

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri Feb 15 09:49:03 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:16:59AM +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:
> At 11:25 PM 14/02/2002 +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> >Minicom will try to initialise a modem by sending ATZ but it works exactly
> >like a terminal emulator after. If you look in the configuration  of minicom
> >you can disable the init strings.
>
> I did that, deleted all the modem setup and dial strings.  Set the rate to
> 9600N81.

[snip]

Looks ok

>  +--------------------[Modem and dialing parameter setup]---------------------+
[snip]

Looks OK

> How do you start a session without dialing?  When I dial, nothing much
> happens and it just keeps trying to dial again and again.

You don't need to dial. You are talking through the serial port the moment
you start minicom. Since nothing happens that means the other end isn't
talking to you. You can turn on Local Echo if you want to see minicom show
you what is being sent.

Don't dial. Dialing is only for modems. Also, try other speeds. Are you sure
you have the right serial port and don't need a null modem? Do you have any
documentation for the thing?

> >Are your serial ports configured? Use setserial to check that they actually
> >are detected OK. The assert failure is wierd but the file isn't openable.
>
> > setserial -Gav /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test

Hmm, UART unknown? Why do you have skip_test enabled? That means the kernel
won't even verify there is a valid serial port there. You are sure that it's
ttyS0 not ttyS1?

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>