terminal to a serial port

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 15 00:16:59 EST 2002

At 11:25 PM 14/02/2002 +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>Minicom will try to initialise a modem by sending ATZ but it works exactly
>like a terminal emulator after. If you look in the configuration  of minicom
>you can disable the init strings.

I did that, deleted all the modem setup and dial strings.  Set the rate to 9600N81.

    ¦ A -    Serial Device      : /dev/ttyS0                                ¦
    ¦ B - Lockfile Location     : /var/lock/minicom/mincom.lock             ¦
    ¦ C -   Callin Program      :                                           ¦
    ¦ D -  Callout Program      :                                           ¦
    ¦ E -    Bps/Par/Bits       : 9600 8N1                                  ¦
    ¦ F - Hardware Flow Control : Yes                                       ¦
    ¦ G - Software Flow Control : No                                        ¦
    ¦                                                                       ¦
    ¦    Change which setting?                                              ¦
Tried it with and without Hardware flow control (that should work OK).

 +--------------------[Modem and dialing parameter setup]---------------------+
 ¦                                                                            ¦
 ¦ A - Init string .........                                                  ¦
 ¦ B - Reset string ........                                                  ¦
 ¦ C - Dialing prefix #1....                                                  ¦
 ¦ D - Dialing suffix #1....                                                  ¦
 ¦ E - Dialing prefix #2....                                                  ¦
 ¦ F - Dialing suffix #2....                                                  ¦
 ¦ G - Dialing prefix #3....                                                  ¦
 ¦ H - Dialing suffix #3....                                                  ¦
 ¦ I - Connect string ......                                                  ¦
 ¦ J - No connect strings ..                                                  ¦
 ¦                                                                            ¦
 ¦ K - Hang-up string ......                                                  ¦
 ¦ L - Dial cancel string ..                                                  ¦
 ¦                                                                            ¦
 ¦ M - Dial time ........... 1       Q - Auto bps detect ..... No             ¦
 ¦ N - Delay before redial . 1       R - Modem has DCD line .. No             ¦
 ¦ O - Number of tries ..... 10      S - Status line shows ... DTE speed      ¦
 ¦ P - DTR drop time (0=no). 0       T - Multi-line untag .... No             ¦
 ¦                                                                            ¦
 ¦ Change which setting?       (Return or Esc to exit)                        ¦

How do you start a session without dialing?  When I dial, nothing much happens and it just keeps trying to dial again and again.

>While modems will autosense the bit rate, other components are not so
>intelligent. 9600N81 is a very common setup. As for the I/O errors:
>
>> > tail -f /dev/ttyS0
>> tail: /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error
>> tail: tail.c:728: recheck: Assertion `valid_file_spec (f)' failed.
>> Abort
>
>Are your serial ports configured? Use setserial to check that they actually
>are detected OK. The assert failure is wierd but the file isn't openable.

> setserial -Gav /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

Kim

--
Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  P: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)