Getting public IP address of NAT firewall

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Fri Feb 8 12:40:39 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Ben Elliston wrote:

>   Damien> IP. Log in to any of the big FTP servers that say "greetings 123.124.145.243,
>   Damien> all transfers are logged".
>
> And then use Expect to automate it.

Hmmmm.... what sort of embedded box are you trying to get the IP
from? Does it offer simpler solutions like ACL-controlled SNMP, a http
configuration tool (which you are game enough to keep running), or support
for a routing protocol or two?

What ports are open on the inside of the device - that may give a
clue.

Querying the device directly would seem to me to be a little more elegant
than some of the other (from what I can see, workable) suggestions.

> Ben

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\