From the dept of dumb ideas......

Ian McCulloch ianmcc at vaneyk.lorentz.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Feb 6 22:36:33 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 rod at tpgi.com.au wrote:

> Sigh,
> This little gem can be found at.
>
> http://www.intel.com/design/network/prodbrf/279043.htm
>
> Hands up all the linux developers that would like to do their linux
> developement by cross compiling on an IDE under WIN-NT.
>
> Its just not natural.
>
> -Rod

This seems to be a deliberate strategy from intel (or perhaps just a
meaningless coincidence); at the high-performance  computing asia
conference last year there was a very knowledgable guy from  Intel there
(Tim Mattson) who was saying very smart things, _except_ on (at least)
two occasions he said [paraphrasing] "... Windows NT will become the
primary development platform for HPC applications"  Needless to say,
everyone in the room blinked.

If intel are pushing WNT at both extremes, I wonder what they envisage for
linux in the desktop?  And what leverage is M$ using that makes intel push NT?

Cheers,
Ian