Help requested - CD-ROM problems in RH 7.2

Bolin, Robert rbolin at industry.gov.au
Mon Feb 4 15:08:51 EST 2002

Hi all

I'm having a problem with setting up RH 7.2 on an old Pentium Pro with 64Mb
RAM and a 6x or 8x CDROM (can't remember which) for my parents. The distro
installs fine, but then "forgets" how to talk to the CDROM. The error being
thrown out when I tried to mount a CD was something like "/dev/cdrom is not
a valid block device" (I think - sorry I didn't think to write it down and
the box is at home). I believe (and certainly in this case) RH symlinks
/dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc.

I've done some quick searching on the web and found a couple of things that
suggest that it may be related to RH 7.X enabling DMA support in the kernal
- one website mentions "The most common issues seen are (snip) the CDROM is
not accessible after installation" which kinda describes the problem. Now
this page (http://www.exocore.com/technologies/linux/rhl71dma/) suggests
adding "/sbin/hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc" to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which should fix
the problem except that I'm not sure where to add the line and when I added
it based on educated guesses, the computer either ignored the line or
complained that /dev/hdc was not a valid device (it is btw).

Can anyone help me by suggesting where in rc.sysinit I put the line, or
suggest another way of overcoming the problem? If I can't fix the problem,
it'll be another computer to the dark side (M$ reinstall) :-(

Rob

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it, is intended for the use of addressee and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, read, forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone. The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any loss, damage, or other consequences which may arise from opening or using the attachments.