linux raid questions

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Fri Dec 13 16:12:54 EST 2002

Hi,

I've just set up a software raid on a SuSE 8.0 box using yast.  Very easy but I have 2 problems now.

1) when I reboot the raid disk doesn't get mounted even though it has an entry in /etc/fstab.  As soon as I log in after boot-up and type mount /raid it mounts no problem.  Is there a trick to this?  Am I missing something?

2) I added a hot spare in the raidtab (there doesn't appear to be a hot spare function in yast or a command raidhotaddspare) but when I do a cat /proc/mdstat I don't see it.  How do I know if it is really there apart from a disaster test - dropping a disk from the raid with raidhotremove?  Shouldn't a hotspare appear in /proc/mdstat like unused devices or something?

# more /etc/raidtab
# autogenerated /etc/raidtab by YaST2

raiddev /dev/md0
   raid-level       5
   nr-raid-disks    3
   nr-spare-disks   1
   persistent-superblock 1
   parity-algorithm left-symmetric
   chunk-size       128
   device   /dev/hde1
   raid-disk 0
   device   /dev/hdg1
   raid-disk 1
   device   /dev/hdi1
   raid-disk 2
   device   /dev/hdk1
   spare-disk 0
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid5]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid5 hdi1[2] hdg1[1] hde1[0]
      156301056 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/3] [UUU]

unused devices: <none>

Kim
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)