ssh batch troubles

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Wed Dec 11 21:38:36 EST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Damien Elmes wrote:

> Howard Lowndes <lannet at lannet.com.au> writes:
>
> > I am having problems running ssh in a batch job, specifically a cron
> > script.  I am trying to pass a command to another box using ssh.
> >
> > I have tried the -n and -o "BatchMode yes" options to ssh but the job
> > hangs just before it is due to close.
> >
> > Running the script from the command line works OK.
> >
> > Any clues?
>
> Hangs? Try hit: [RET] ~ .
>
> If it terminates fine there, then the command is probably opening standard
> output/error and forking to the background. SSH keeps the connection open
> incase there's any future output. Try redirecting it to /dev/null instead.

I've tried redirecting stdin to </dev/null and to <&-  but neither make
any difference.

I'm wondering if it's something on the remote box's sshd as that was
recently upgraded and sshd might be broken when a local cron script tries
to run ssh to send a command to the remote box; it just doesn't seem to
send enough back to the local box to tell it to close the ssh connection.
The difficulty is that ssh works fine from the command line.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people