What kind of laptop?

Bill Clarke llib at computer.org
Wed Dec 4 18:11:33 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 00:55, Jepri wrote:
> While we're laptopping, I'm looking at getting one too.  Could people
> recommend their favourites?  I'm looking for:
>
> a sodding huge screen
> tons o' ram
> modest processor
> everything onboard/integrated (due to the way I'm purchasing it,
> external stuff costs more)
> and of course, it all must work with linux
>

> right now the apple laptops look like being perfect except for the
> massive price tag.  But surely there's something better.  I even
> checked out sparc laptops but they are really poor value for money (but
> a 64-bit poor value :)

while not quite fulfilling all your requirements (huge screen, and tons
o' ram), i'd say the apple iBooks are quite reasonably priced compared
to the competition.  for $3285 (education price[*]) you get the
top-of-the-line iBook, 14.1".  apart from processor speed (800 MHz G3),
the specs are pretty similar to other 14.1" laptops at similar prices:
256 MB RAM, 32MB Radeon 7500, 30 GB HDD, DVD ROM & CD-burner, modem and
network, blah blah.
http://www.apple.com.au/ibook/specs.html

[*] from http://www.mac1.com.au/education/default.htm:
"""
If you are purchasing on behalf of an educational institution, work or
study full-time at an educational institution or have a Bachelor's or
better degree from any Australian university, it is likely that you are
applicable to take advantage of our great deal.
"""

disclaimer: i don't work for apple, nor do i own an iBook.  however, i
did just convince my dad to buy the above model (-:

cheers,
/lib
--
/lib: Bill Clarke  ResearchScientist CAPResearch DeptCompSci ANU .au
http://llib.cjb.net llib at computer.org  tel:+61-2-6125x5687 fax:x0010