Good linux books & distros

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Dec 3 16:18:50 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 15:55, James McNeill wrote:
> Red hat is most mainstream. easy to install & setup, will do the job.
> Debian (personal pref.) is more difficult, but you'll probably learn alot
> more too.

Debian is by far the easiest to maintain, once it's set up.

Unfortunately, the Debian installation requires that you know a little
about what you're going to be doing before you start doing it.  Typical
questions are along the lines of "what's the host name", "are you using
DHCP?" and "what sources do I use for the apt/dselect system?".

The biggest advantage in installing Debian is that updates (eg applying
security-crital fixed) is usually as simple as "apt-get update ; apt-get
upgrade".

If you want the simplest install possible, find someone who already
knows Debian who will install it for you :)  Much easier than RedHat,
and you might even learn something.  At the very least, you'll have a
friend over for the afternoon so you can be social ;)

I'd use the same answer for the "best book" question - invite someone
who knows over for an afternoon or evening of mucking about with <insert
disto here>'s version of Linux.

Alex