XBox Linux

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 29 14:48:48 EST 2002

I claim first post status on this list to have Linux running on an XBox.

For those who may not have been aware, M$ are having a promotion on XBoxen,
bundling it with the DVD remote option (normally $70), a DVD title and a
copy of some XBox game (who cares about that?) all for $400. Hopefully,
they are making a loss, 'cause I am not going to buy any games for it, so
they aren't going to make any money out of me!

The Linux port is still a little embryonic, but can drive the TV display
as a Virtual console.

After I get mine to net boot, then we'll see some interesting Linux apps.

btw. the hardware is a 733MHz Celeron, 64MB of shared fast RAM, NVidia
chipset (graphics, audio and ethernet), a DVD drive and a small, slow
hard disk (which can be replaced).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.