Upgrading my monitor - comments sought

Daniel Smith drs at outpost.dreamcraft.com.au
Tue Aug 20 21:38:27 EST 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 02:06:04PM +1000 or thereabouts, Paul Bryan wrote:
> I believe the Diamond Views are re-badged Acer monitors. I used to fix Acers
> and know the problem with those 19" ones. I think I even fixed a couple of
> Diamond Views as well.
>
> If they are out of warranty, or you don't care about warranty, I could fix
> them for you. It's only a couple of bad solder joints.

Offer appreciated.

> For every brand monitor (and every electronic device for that matter), there
> are *lots* of people who have had problems, and *lots* who haven't. Just
> going on one user's experience isn't going to give you a very good picture.
> We've already seen in this discussion, one person very happy with
> Diamondtrons and one not happy.

Note: I've had *no* experience with DiamondTRONs, they are a completely
different beast. Rather than a conventional mask CRT the Diamondtrons
are a modified Trinitron tube as AFAIK the patent has expired on them.
Significantly classier piece of kit.

> Service is the most important part. In this case, there has not been adequate
> service. That's what I look at. Every monitor is going to fail at some point,
> it's how it's dealt with that matters to me.

Ya. I'm surprised the Mitsubishi Warranty people don't whip out the
soldering iron if it is as you say, trivial.