Strange root login problem

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 7 17:58:19 EST 2002

If you set the security level in Mandrake too high it will do things like
this.  Mandrake has certain security "levels" so that newbies can secure
their machines ranging from totally open to paranoid.  If you put the setting
too high you could very well end up securing your machine from yourself.

The simplest thing to do would be to go to the Control Centre and make sure
that the security setting is not on Paranoid or something like that.  The
Control Panel settings only show Standard, High, Higher and Paranoid settings
but there are finer increments that you can only invoke from the command line
(they are called msec settings).

Also if you ran the InteractiveBastille program and you weren't careful in
your choices of settings you could also very well have ended up securing your
machine from yourself as well.

Pearl