Strange root login problem

Dale Shaw DShaw at exceed.com.au
Wed Aug 7 15:57:36 EST 2002

If this has not already been resolved (I reckon Andrew Bartlett's picked
it), I'd be interested to know if..

	% su root

..achieves the same (successful) result as..

	% su - root

If 'su - root' fails, check your shell's initialisation files (e.g.
.bashrc, .profile, .cshrc, .tcshrc, whatever) for something wrong.

This probably isn't it. Obviously if you are getting a login failure
message back, it's not getting as far as initialising the shell.

Cheers,
  Dale

PS: Like someone else said -- don't run X as root! It's an unnecessary
security risk.