[OT] FYI: Telstra Providing Microsoft Messenger Internet Telephony

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Apr 28 12:57:17 EST 2002

http://www.bigpond.com/broadband/specialoffers/internetcallingtrial/splash.
asp

For those who care/are interested/have nothing better to do with their
time.

Basically, Telstra is setting up a trial of a telephony service that
will allow you to use MSN to make phone calls.  You sign up for MSN
(including a Passport account), select Telstra as your Internet
Telephony Provider, and start handing money over to Telstra.

You can't call 1800, 1900, Directory Assistance, all calls are charged
at $0.12/minute, and the network traffic is billable, in addition to
call charges.

Oh... the trial is limited to Windows only at this stage.

I keep searching for "The Holy Grail" of voice comms - something that
will let me use my Mac OS X box to talk to my friends using Windows or
Linux, using voice and even video.

Alex

Windows 98, n.: 32 bit extensions and graphical shell for a 16 bit hack
on a 8 bit operating system originally written for a 4 bit
microprocessor, by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition
and has not a bit of respect for its customers.