debate about Free software for the ACT Government

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Apr 23 22:38:34 EST 2002

I agree really. I think the case for "free licence == free" has some pretty
serious problems. I'm trying to suggest that there's more benefit for
Canberra if it becomes an early adopter (of enterprise-wide Linux) and gains
the benefit of helping to develop its own software. I'd hope that the
discussion about free vs. Microsoft (as too often the debate seems to
become - and this one has started at) gains some wider breadth than the
usual half-baked theories about TCO, ROI, and so many other TLAs. In any
case none of the people involved in the debate should forget that the
Government is not a profit making enterprise - it provides services to the
citizens.

Richard