postfix config

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Apr 18 11:25:07 EST 2002

On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 05:43 , Kim Holburn wrote:

> Anyone tell me very quickly how I configure postfix to :
>
> . not listen for mail but queue and send it to another machine and
> . not keep mail local but send it to another machine.

Do you want something like ssmtp instead?  This just pretends to be
sendmail on the command line.  sstmp doesn't queue mail - if the server
it's trying to contact is unavailable, ssmtp will just return an error
saying it couldn't send the mail.  ssmtp doesn't listen on port 25
either, AFAIK.

The Debian package for ssmtp is listed at:

   http://packages.debian.org/stable/mail/ssmtp.html

This includes a tarball of the "upstream" source.  The only other
download source is at various cygwin mirrors, as part of the cygwin
"contribs" directory:

   http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/cygwin/contrib/ssmtp/

HTH
Alex