Getting a static IP on ADSL

Chris L. Bird bird at apex.net.au
Thu Apr 11 12:27:21 EST 2002

Daniel,

Okay you will not get a static IP from Bigpond Broadband, you will have
to go through Bigpond Direct - it's the business focused area of
Bigpond.  From there you can get one but not at $100 per month it will
be more along the lines of $250 minimum for a 256/64 connection.

You are better of with Iprimus they will give you a 1.5/256 link with a
static for a low $319 per month with 1GB of traffic.  Still a little
expensive but for your needs probably a little excessive.  So I would
highly recommend getting the DynDNS, dyndns.org doesn't charge you a fee
for any of the 'free' subdomains of there's, but if you want your own
Domain name that is not one of there's then there is a $30 USD charge -
once of.

ADSL is not cheap to setup from the Telco's point of view, a lot of
equipment is needed in the exchanges, etc so they have to charge high
amounts, if business's weren't charged like they are then the home plans
would have to be more expensive.

The main diff between the Business plans and the Home plans from Telstra
is the number of extra user accounts that can be specified, normally you
only get 2 but with the business you can get 7.  However if you are
running a gateway with a single connection who needs the extra
accounts??  Maybe your worker has ADSL at home, but they have business
work to do so they log on using one of the extra ADSL Work Accounts from
Home, thus not costing them any traffic usage charges - work pays.

Good luck.

Chris Bird
Byte Dynamics
Mobile: 0405 159 253