Open source report writing tools??

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 6 18:30:58 EST 2002

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:02, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
<snip>
> Reports based on a table from a database is what I meant.  Sorry if I
> wansn't clear.
>
> The 'Report Generator proposal' at
> http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/rdbmsquery.html is basically what I'm after.
> Some kind of generic report templating system that could be easily adjusted
> to create HTML reports, LaTeX reports etc.  Possibly even pdf's directly,
> but I'm after a definition like system where the report spec itself does
> not have to contain any 'code'.
I still am not sure what you are expecting, but KDE has become a recent
favourite, and it claims to have a report writer (which I haven't used). From
the README:

ABOUT KUGAR:

Current features:

* Qt report viewer widget for previewing reports from within a Qt application
  (WYSIWYG).
* KDE report viewer utility.
* KPart report viewer component - view reports from within Konqueror.
* Report printing in Postscript.
* Database/datasource neutral, data is supplied to the report engine in XML.
* Open report definition files, report layout is stored in XML.
* Report Header/Footer.
* Page Header/Footer.
* Detail Section.
* Grand totals: count, sum, average, variance and standard deviation.
* Report print progress and cancellation.
* Report rendering progress and cancellation.
* Complete implementation of printer setup options.
* Additional formatting (negative numbers, currency, commas for numbers and
  dates).

Brad