Open source report writing tools??

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 6 09:02:34 EST 2002

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 6:39 am, Michael Still wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any good open source report writing tools?
> > I asked this about a year ago (6-7 May 2001), but I'm wondering if things
> > have changed since then?  (Different people on the list??)
>
> Obviously I mis understand the question, because my instant response is
> docbook works for my reports (as in hand written documents reporting on
> development et al). If you're after APIs to build pretty tables of figures
> based on your database, then you could have a look at Panda
> (http://www.stillhq.com), which will happily generate PDF documents for
> you.

Reports based on a table from a database is what I meant.  Sorry if I wansn't
clear.

The 'Report Generator proposal' at
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/rdbmsquery.html is basically what I'm after.
Some kind of generic report templating system that could be easily adjusted
to create HTML reports, LaTeX reports etc.  Possibly even pdf's directly, but
I'm after a definition like system where the report spec itself does not have
to contain any 'code'.

Rasjid.