TransACT network

andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au
Fri Sep 28 09:53:06 EST 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Kim Holburn wrote:

> One of the techs told me it would be in the reserved ip space
> 10.x.x.x so I tried firing of a few (thousand;-) pings but got no
> response.  If anyone wants to try grabbing a 10.x.x.x ip number
> sometime and see if we can exchange ICMP packets;-)

As I said, I've tried sniffing the network, and there is no traffic on it
except that related to my PPPoE link.  Doesn't matter how my end is
configured - if I can't talk to anyone but the router, and nobody but the
router can talk to me, and the router only wants to talk PPPoE.... we can
either go through our respective ISPs (and pay for the privilege), or wait
for transact to set up something else for us to connect to.

If you want to try anyway, I've set the IP on my external interface to
10.29.38.47 (netmask 255.0.0.0).  Go nuts trying to reach it.

[...]
> He also told me they were going to use macrovision to stop anyone
> recording video.  Good move:-(

Well, last time I tried, there was no macrovision crap.  An "evil pirate
hacker" could tape VOD movies!  If they had any worth watching, that might
be tempting....

I hear one can buy de-macrovising boxes for $notmuch.  Personally, I have
a tv tuner card and a large hard disk - if I ever feel the burning need to
record something and find it's been macrovised, I can always fall back to
that.

Andrew