rsync troubles

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 25 20:52:55 EST 2001

Tomasz Ciolek wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know this is not exactly a linux question, but I am having tyrouble rsync-ing a very larga data set (approc 16GB with about 1 million files and directories) for a Sun Solaris 2.6 box. Whta I am seeing is rsync buiulding the file lists, seding some dsirectory iformation and files and then stopping all data flow.
>
> I am wandering if there are any limits inherent to rsync as to homw many "objects" ie files and directories it can handle in asingle run? Does oneone kow if there are patches to rsync to resolve this problem?
>
> Also How does on egte in touch with trige these days (I want to speak to the Father or Rsync about this issue).
>
> regards
> Tomasz Ciolek

I don't know how may inodes we are using, but we regularly backup a 17.5GB
partition (usually almost full) on a Solaris 2.6 machine to a Linux box
using rsync. The Solaris box has 256MB RAM, but also usually runs many
user processes. It also has piles of swap space.

Certainly, the number of inodes in use is an issue. Each file/directory uses
some finite amount of memory in rsync.

Contrary to what Steven wrote, rsync does not do a checksum of every file,
only
of those files who's size and modification times are different at each end.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.