rsync troubles

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Tue Sep 25 17:48:49 EST 2001

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 12:15:16PM +1000, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
> I know this is not exactly a linux question, but I am having tyrouble
rsync-ing a very larga data set (approc 16GB with about 1 million files and
directories) for a Sun Solaris 2.6 box. Whta I am seeing is rsync buiulding
the file lists, seding some dsirectory iformation and files and then stopping
all data flow.

> I am wandering if there are any limits inherent to rsync as to homw many
"objects" ie files and directories it can handle in asingle run? Does oneone
kow if there are patches to rsync to resolve this problem?

yes there are problems with trying to deal with that many files and that much
data as it has to go and compute the checksums oer all the files and do all
sorts of processing on it all.

I suggest just ftping it all across or something.

I remember a few years ago tridge was saying he was running our of memory on
the O200 that was samba.anu.edu.au at the time trying to transfer a huge nuber
of files with a large amount of data. I dont know how mmuch it has progressed
since then.

Anyway I suggest getting onto the rsync mailing lists and asking about it and
see if they can help or give updates.

> Also How does on egte in touch with trige these days (I want to speak to the
  Father or Rsync about this issue).

As always you can email tridge with tridge at samba.org, however the usual
applies, he is extremely busy, gets lots of email and tends to go through them
pretty fast. He is currently up in Sydney at auug. I suggest as mentioned
above that you get onto the rsync mailing list as other people with some
knowledge of what the current abilities of rsync are.

I am also up in sydney at auug just now so may see tridge tomorrow or
thursday, but the mailing list is possibly the best bet.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh