sharing a dial-up connection with a win95 system

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Wed Sep 5 11:14:43 EST 2001

jeremy wrote:
> On  4 Sep, Mick Howe wrote:
> > I wish to setup my RedHat 7.1 linux to provide access to
> the web for a Win95
> > system. any tips or reference to a readable howto?

> little while to work through - there's a lot there.

Conversely, the Windows net sharing is not that painless
either. I was going to share using Windows until I built
my firewall. In the end, it took less time to build a
firewall than it took to get Windows net sharing working.

The firewall (Debian running ipchains and IP masquerading) has
required almost no attention since setup. :o)

The only other suggestion I'd make is avoid running any services
on the firewall box (httpd, mail etc.) unless you really have to
(well, initially anyway). It greatly simplifies securing the box.

Antti