re Transact and peer to peer.

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 13:06:25 EST 2001

At 08:44 AM 25/10/2001 +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au wrote:
>
>> ----
>> I believe that our account will be assigned a static 10.x.x.x IP adddress.
>> If so, what security will be enabled within that WAN?
>
>I wonder what the implications are for people like us (Cray) who use
>10.x.x.x internal addresses. We have FreeS/WAN (ipsec) connectivity to our
>other offices internationally and have given each country 16 bits.  I guess
>we could have routing problems if we switched to Transact.

If the peer-to-peer network existed and it used the 10.xx.xx.xx IP range and you wanted to connect to it, then you would have problems if there were any IP addresses that were the same in both networks.  You wouldn't be able to see them from your network and vv.  Otherwise it would not be an issue.  Doesn't sound like a good idea anyway.  Not exactly secure.  The peer-to-peer network would look as though it was part of your company network.  Is that what you want?

If you don't go out of your way to connect to the (currently non-existent) peer-to-peer network and you have an internet connection your NAT would work as normal.

Kim

--
Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  P: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)