Xwindows client for SunOS

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com.au
Wed Oct 24 17:19:32 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 Phil.Arthur at moore.com.au wrote:

> Does anyone know how to set up a linux box (using slackware at the moment) to
> start a remote Solaris CDE xwindows session? I thought it may be pretty straight
> forward, but I have never dabbled in such things.

I've not done this so these instructions might not be 100% acurate but...

On the Solaris side:

Get dtlogin doing xdmcp to remote X servers
	Copy /usr/dt/config/Xconfig to /etc/dt/config/Xconfig
	Uncomment "Dtlogin.requestPort:" and "Dtlogin*authorize:"
	Set Dtlogin.requestPort: to 177
	Set Dtlogin*authorize: to False
	Kill and restart dtlogin. (or whatever it is that dtlogin wants)
Make sure the font server is running (fs) and configured.

On the Linux box:

	Add to the end of /etc/inittab:
	x2:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X -fp tcp/sun_host_name:7100 -query sun_host_name vt08 :1.0

Then to get Linux login: <CTRL><ALT>F7
To get CDE login:  <CTRL><ALT>F8

I've suggested doing the font server thang so that the Sun fonts will be available.  An
alternative is to install the Sun fonts directly on the Linux system buy hey, isn't that
what font servers are for?

Also there might be a more secure way of getting the xdmcp access than to set authorize to
false but that would require reading something.

--
Brett

 Cray Australia.
 brettw at cray.com +61 2 6295 4023

PGP: 1024R/27EB604F  22A9 A85A 22BD 496B 2443
                     35E5 46F7 0712 27EB 604F