Electronic Voting

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Mon Oct 22 08:22:15 EST 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Bob Edwards wrote:
> The only problem I had on polling day using the on-line system was that
> I leant a little too heavily on the cardboard surround around the screen.
[--- snip ---]

hahaha :)

I was told to pass on a message by the AEC folks in Tuggeranong, they
had all sorts of problems with the bar code readers.  What I think it
boiled down to was the ballot card was too thin for the reader, and it
involved a bit of skill to get it to accept the bar code.

After the "your vote has been accepted" screen disappeared and the
system reset for the next victim^H^H^H^H^H^Hvoter, there was a brief
flash of the text console which was almost full with "buffer overrun"
messages.  Or perhaps underrun, I didn't get a good enough look at it.

I think it would have been faster for me to use pen & paper (I
personally found the keypad navigation a bit clumsy), but it sure
was a lot easier to handle than the tablecloth you normally get to
scribble on.

--
Matt