Screwed mail servers

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Mon Oct 1 20:44:21 EST 2001

I've been trying to mail a few people for various reasons and I've been
getting some curious errors.

I haven't mailed these people/companies before, but when I tried exim
kept returning erros claiming that the peer timed out or closed the
connection.  Sometimes it happens during the data command (timeout after
block) but most often when exim says 'finished data, waiting for
confirmation' - or whatever the message is.

Anyone else had these problems?  I have a pretty good idea who to blame,
but most of these incidents occurred with companies who wouldn't tell me
what servers they were running, just that they 'handled hundreds of
thousands of emails without trouble'.  (Hays IT idiot tech support)

I'm almost tempted to start a 'email servers hall of shame' for servers
so badly configured they aren't RFC compliant any more.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,