External data representation (Was: no subject)

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com.au
Fri Nov 23 17:15:31 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Alexei Gorbatov wrote:

> I need to read a raw binary file from linux and SUN based programs.

Alexei,

You might find useful information on the xdr man page.  This is used by RPC
programs to communicate between unlike hardware.  I bet there's a million
ways to do the same thing but xdr is the only one I've looked at.

Or you could use ASCII instead of binary in your file format...

Brett

 Cray Australia.
 brettw at cray.com +61 2 6295 4023

PGP: 1024R/27EB604F  22A9 A85A 22BD 496B 2443
                     35E5 46F7 0712 27EB 604F