(no subject)

'Sam Couter' sam at topic.com.au
Fri Nov 23 14:13:09 EST 2001

Alexei Gorbatov <alexei at rses.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Well, it is the problem. However, I have Linux on SUN Box as well.

Linux running on a SPARC will use the same byte order as Solaris running
on a SPARC. Endianness is dependant on the hardware, not the software
(although some screwy architectures can be switched from little-endian
to big-endian somehow).

There are a couple of other problems you may be running into:

1) Intel x86 CPUs are 32-bit, SPARC CPUs are 64-bit. Non-sized types
like 'int' will most likely be different sizes between platforms,
depending on your compiler.

2) structs can contain padding (empty space) between members, and two
different compilers might not use the same padding.

> The DEC Alpha compiler can compile Fortran programs with option "convert".
> This
> option define "open" statement and format of the files.
> Unfortunately, g77 does not support this option. Am I right?

I don't know, I've never used Fortran. In fact, since you're using
Fortran and not C or C++, the two problems I outlined above may not apply
either.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam at topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |