Linux courses

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Tue Nov 20 21:09:39 EST 2001

Dear All,

I have a friend, Rod Ryan, who owns and runs a small motel in Jugiong (small
village about 120km from Canberra).  Rod and I are interested in promoting
Linux, and think that offering introductory and potentially intermediate
(users) courses on Linux would be one way of achieving this. This idea first
came to Rod on discovering that a local TAFE wanted to run a course on Linux
but could not find anyone to teach it!

I have a number of leads on possbile curriculums from the seul-edu mailing
list, but if anyone knows of any introductory courses to Linux that are
licensed under the GPL or similar, please let me know.

*Note*: We were planning to aim the courses at the home user or small
business operator, not the professional IT administrator.

If anyone would like to be involved, please email me off list and I will send
some more details.  If any longer (probably 5 day) courses get off the
ground, they would be held at Rod's motel, and the course facilitator /
trainer would be paid.  It is, however, all just at the ideas stage at the
moment.

Any other ideas on promoting Linux in the community would be good (and could
even be discussed on list!).  I think we need something more than just the
occasional install fest.  I'm thinking along the lines of a regular (monthly)
free talk/demonstation about Linux and what it has to offer to the average
home Windows 98 user, with some low cost advertising (in the Chronicle
perhaps?).  I would be willing to organise such a thing is no-one else is
enthusiastic, although not *this* week, and probably not until next year.

Rasjid.