Telstra ADSL vs TransACT (was Re: TransACT@CLUG this month)

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Mon Nov 19 11:28:58 EST 2001

Jeremy wrote:

> You're probably all going to have to sit down for this one - I'm about
> to defend Telstra!  Maybe.

> Has anyone actually run into this mysterious 3Gb download cap?  I keep
> blowing 3Gb and haven't been hassled yet.  Even my frinds who are
> topping 40Gb a month aren't being penalised.

This is because they are on shaky ground. If they are going to limit
downloads to 3 Gb a month, they need to provide some kind of metering
so that customers will know when they are about to be slugged. This month,
their metering of my account was not updated until yesterday. This morning,
is started reading "120 Mb" for this month. In comparison, my own stats show
1.2 Gb of traffic for the period. How can they charge for excess traffic if
they cannot meter it accurately?

Telstra have made the 3Gb cap one of their AUP conditions. Just because they
have not yet enforced it does not negate it. My guess is that it has not been
enforced because no-one at Telstra will be reading usage logs unless there is
a complaint or poor performance. That and they still have issues to resolve.

Cheers,

Antti