Moving from 2.0 to 2.2 kernel

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Jul 29 10:40:00 EST 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 12:24:03AM +1000, PsyeX wrote:
> I have a nice old net-router i've been using since ever, its running 2.0.34
> at the moment, and I think its long due for an upgrade. I dont really want
> to do a complete reinstallation, so is there a quick/easy way I can just
> download the latest 2.2 kernel (2.2.19) or even a 2.4 kernel and upgrade the
> kernel?
>
> Do i need to download all the OS tools, like ipchains/iptables, updated
> versions of lilo, gcc etc...

It depend on what it is running now. Debian has packages for potato that
need to be upgraded to use 2.4 kernels. That's a fairly short list. However,
since it's currently running 2.0 it's probably really old.

Just upgrading your kernel shouldn't affect too much. The only things likely
to break are related to modules, ppp and other stuff like that.

You'll probably have to do a bit of hacking by hand.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/