Telnet error

Rasjid rasjidw at bigpond.com
Wed Aug 29 20:46:23 EST 2001

Firstly, I assume that you are trying to telnet *into* you RH Box, not
out of it?  And that you can ping you RH box from whereever you are
trying to telnet from?

If so, then:

Secondly, telnet no longer runs by default in RH7.1.  This is a good
thing.  SSH is infinitely more secure (since telnet is totally
insecure).  Use ssh instead.  If you are trying to telnet from a Windows
box, then download PuTTY (a free SSH client for Windows) from
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ instead.

Thirdly, make sure that your firewall is not blocking incoming
connections. The default medium level firewall in RH7.1 a number of
ports. (I can't remember which ones exactly.)
Run /sbin/ipchains -L to see.  If the firewall is you problem, then a
quick (but not very desireable fix unless you are already behind a
firewall) is /sbin/ipchains -F.  Otherwise you will need to change the
firewall configuration file.  See /etc/sysconfig/firewall and
/etc/init.d/ipchains.  I'm not sure how the iptables version works, but
I think it is similar.

If you *really* want to use telnet, then edit /etc/xinet.d/telnet so
that disable = no.  Then run /etc/init.d/xinted restart.  Check your
firewall if you have not already done so.  It should work then.

But I ask you, why telnet when you can ssh?

Rasjid.