Buying a hard drives

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Wed Aug 22 07:01:45 EST 2001

OK Guys,

Cause what I said caused a little stir,  I was very tired when I wrote my
reply and I actually meant to say that Cougar recommended WD not IBM.  I
have just bought a Western Digital (not an IBM) and I'm very happy with
it.

As for the problem my mate had with the IBM well I'm just reporting the
facts.  As for buying at the markets I guess the motto is "buyer beware"

Cheers,
Simon

The specs are  WDC WD200BB-00AUA1, ATA DISK drive

[root at calippo /root]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  2.64 seconds = 48.48 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  6.01 seconds = 10.65 MB/sec

On 22/08/01, 1:22:54 AM, Neil Symons <neil at goldweb.com.au> wrote regarding
Re: Buying a hard drives:

> On Tuesday, 21 August 2001 at 11:15AM, Simon Haddon <simon at sibern.com.au>
managed to get the following past my procmail filter:
> > With the second question I would say that buying from Cougar with a 3
> > year warranty is better than what happened to a mate of mine who bought a
> > bad hard disk from the markets and could not get it replaced by the
> > dealers at the markets or by IBM.  IBM would not replace it cause it was
> > was from a shipment that was previously stolen.  Also if your interested.
> >  Cougar told me that the IBM hard disks are the best performing at the
> > moment.
> >

> Just a note and this may have been said before.

> When you buy Locally, you are supporting the local econonmy: Wages, Rent,
Insurance, Super etc make up why Components cost more in a computer store.
You also get benifits such as quick replacements when things go faulty.

> Practically everything you buy from the fairs are exectly the same from
the Local Store. The same percentage of components fail however when you
get things from stores, they usually install them for you and test then
swap/change them before they hand your system back to you.

> When you purchase systems from a store, most will honor something like 5
years FREE labor. This means that when you upgrade or add components from
the same store, there is no labor charge to do the work.

> So you save a bit when you go to the fair, but do you want to sit and
wait 2 to 4 weeks for the person you purchased the component from to come
back (and if they come back) to hand component back and then have to wait
the same length for them to appear with your replacement component.