Quickcam's etc

David Murn davey at vision.doa.org
Tue Aug 21 00:30:03 EST 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Grant Morphett wrote:

> Any recommendations for a camera that works well with Linux.  Quickcam's
> seem to differ from camera to camera and if you don't get the right one
> it won't work.  Kodak appears to be a good choice but has anyone any
> experience?

Ive had very good luck with my smartcam, made by swann.  They're an
australian company, and the webcam is supported by the cpia project
(webcam.sourceforge.net).  I have the USB one and it works almost without
a hitch.  Occasionally you'll get a short read and the camera will reset
itself, and carry on working.  This doesnt happen under windows so I
suspect its simply a driver bug which wont be hard to fix.

Also some qcams are supported, just check which ones.  For USB ones, check
the usb drivers page for webcams, and it will show support (for parallel
ones too I think) for the different models and if theres any other
instructions.

Davey