Groups command fails for large groups on some systems

Scott Croft secroft at micron.com
Wed Jan 15 16:39:36 EST 2003

All,
   I have several RH 8.0 systems in NIS+. A couple are fully functional
in the fact that when you type 'groups <username>' it returns the
correct value. On the otherhand, I have some that return:

id: cannot find name for group ID #####

At first I thought that it was the kernel, but on a couple, the kernel
is the same and I still get the error. I have looked at the differences
in libraries, if any, with none to be found.

I realize the groups uses the command 'id -Gn' to return the correct
value. The permissions on the /etc/group, /etc/passwd, and /etc/shadow
are correct. The /etc/pam.d/system-auth files are the same also.

I am dumbfounded as to why it works on one system and not another. Any
help would be appreciated.

--
Scott Croft <secroft at micron.com>