nisplus authentication problem

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 6 15:28:59 EST 2003

Can you run "nisdefaults" on your Linux client? Does it have "(not
authenticated" in the first line (or any line) of output? If so, your client
has not been authenticated to the server. Check if you have a /etc/.rootkey file.

If nisdefaults runs OK, then try "nismatch someuser passwd.org_dir"
("someuser" is replaced by some real username in the NIS+ server database).
If all is well, you should see an encrypted passwd entry in the second field
(after the first colon) of the output. If you see something like "*NP*"
instead, then again, the NIS+ server is not giving the password back to the
client (doesn't trust it).

If both these tests prove OK, then you will need to send some output from
/var/log/security or /var/log/messages where you should see some evidence of
what is going wrong.

Using shadow passwords is irrelevent to NIS+ or any other network based
authentication system (like LDAP or Kerberos etc.).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.