root can't change user passwords

Maxwell Bottiger sleepylight at jive-turkey.net
Tue Dec 2 03:48:42 EST 2003

Hi,
	I've run into a very strange problem.  My sun box is running NIS+
and there is something very strange going on with the passwords.  I must
be mistaken, but I thought at root I could change the password of any user
on the system and without the system giving me any greif. However, I can't
change the password for my personal account.

> su -
Password:
root-micro1?passwd mpbottig
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
Permission denied
root-micro1?

Do what now?  Why is the system telling me that root can't change a
password?  Root is the admin for both the local password files and for the
secure RPC password tables right?  So what is up?

I can't even get into dealing with the linux client problems unitl I'm
sure that the server side is right....

--

-Maxwell Bottiger

This thing is like a wolf